Resources coming soon!
- Small Business Reference Center – Exclusive full text for many top consumer small business reference books, as well as tools to address many small business topics. It includes business videos, a help and advice section and details on how to create business plans.
- Entrepreneurial Studies Source – Covering the latest insights in entrepreneurship and small business ownership, Entrepreneurial Studies Source is an essential full-text database for business students and researchers.
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center – This database offers detailed “how-to” instructions and creative ideas to meet the interests of virtually every hobby enthusiast. Full text is provided from leading hobby and craft magazines.
- The Foundation Center – (Available only from IPL computers) Find and Approach Great Prospects with FDO’s Extensive Application & Fundraising Expertise. Funder Profiles, Peer Recipient Profiles, Decision Makers, Funder Types, Maps, Charts. Fuel Your Fundraising. In-Depth Fundraising Tool. Win More Grants.
- Mini Makers Space coming 2021 – a collaborative work space inside a the library for making, learning, exploring and sharing.
- City of Independence – Find regulations, information and more.
- Independence Chamber of Commerce – The Chamber serves as a catalyst to initiate new economic development and community development projects or programs and sees to it that they are carried out either through a committee or another organization.
- Independence Main Street – a community organization that promotes small business growth, entrepreneur development, and shop local events.
- Montgomery County Action Council – Collaborates with numerous partners including local municipalities and entities to streamline the small business development process.
- Fab Lab ICC – Located in the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship on the main campus of Independence Community College in Independence, Kansas. The Fab Lab is a creative space providing community members and students access to advanced manufacturing and digital fabrication tools for: making things for fun; learning academic and vocational skills; developing innovations and inventions; creating businesses and items for business promotion; and producing personalized products.
- Kansas Small Business Development Center – Statewide network of centers whose business consultants provide confidential business assistance at no charge to established firms, growth companies and start-up enterprises. Training courses are also provided for which fees may be charged.
- Network Kansas – Resource for starting or growing a business including a central portal connecting entrepreneurs and small business owners with resources when needed.
- Kansas Department of Commerce – Kansas’ leading economic development agency. Divisions include Business Development and Community Development.
- Kansas Secretary of State – Business filing center to search for business name availability, perform business entity search, file an annual report, or file business formation documents.
- Kansas Department of Revenue – Business registration for sales, withholding and other Kansas taxes, exemption certificates, sales tax rates, on-line filing of business tax, etc.
- Kansas Department of Agriculture – Agency responsible for ensuring a safe food supply, among other areas. Includes Food Safety and Consumer Protection programs responsible for retail food inspection for restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, food processors and lodging facilities; meat, poultry, and dairy inspection.
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment – Agency responsible for protecting health and environment of Kansans. Licenses adult and child care facilities, health care providers, and medical care facilities.
- Kansas Department of Transportation – Obtain traffic count maps by KDOT district as well as for cities over 5,000 population.
- Kansas Department of Transportation – Information on highway signage and outdoor advertising regulations.
- Kansas Labor Information Center – Labor market information including wages by occupation; per capita, family and household income; employment by occupation and industry, and other labor market information.
- Internal Revenue Service – Obtain tax forms and publications including federal identification number application.
- U.S. Patents & Trademarks – Federal agency for granting U.S. patents and registering trademarks. Conduct preliminary patent searches also on this site.
- U.S. Small Business Administration – Provides programs to aid, counsel, assist and protect interests of small businesses. Includes free online training, resources for small business planning and management, and information on SBA loan programs.
- Grants.gov – The government’s central storehouse for information on over 1,000 grant programs. Research, find, determine eligibility and apply for federal government grants. (Note: Few grant programs are available for for-profit businesses, but this is the source to find out what might be available for your business.)
- Grow with Google – Learn how to manage your business remotely by using digital tools that help you connect with customers and work more efficiently.
- SBDCNET National Information Clearing House – The SBDC’s national information clearing house and small business information center; links to business plan info, industry resources, demographic resources and more.
- Entrepreneur – Contains small business information and links to other sites.
- Public Legal – Obtain free legal forms to download to use as a template or sample draft before consulting an attorney. (Note: not intended to be used in lieu of legal advice.)
- KU Institute for Policy and Social Research – Kansas Statistical Abstract containing statistical data for the state, counties and cities in Kansas.
- BizStats – Free business statistics and financial ratios.
- Bplans – Business plan software and free sample business plans.
- All Business – Offers resources including hot-to articles, business forms, contracts and agreements, expert advice, business news, business directory listings, product comparisons, business guides, and more.