About Cultivate Indy Small Business Lab
The Independence Public Library received $68,927 from the American Library Association to build a small business lab and expand our programming to small businesses and entrepreneurs from low-income and underrepresented groups. The Independence Public Library is one of 13 public libraries around the country to receive this funding from Libraries Build Business (LBB), an initiative of the American Library Association funded by Google.org. “ ALA is thrilled to support and work collaboratively with the Independence Public Library and the entire LBB cohort,” said ALA Associate Executive Director Kathi Kromer. “We are impressed by the innovation and institutional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; the Independence Public Library has demonstrated in developing their small business offerings.”
The Cultivate Indy Small Business Lab has a variety of resources for the community to utilize to start and grow their small business. Below are the highlights of the Independence Public Library’s Small Business and Entrepreneurial resources available with your IPL card.
- State-of-the-Art Dell and Mac Desktops – These powerful computers give entrepreneurs the technology they need to research, plan, create, and build their business endeavors. Currently, IPL has a Dell and Mac desktop available for registered users to access, each with the Adobe Creative Cloud installed. IPL plans to add another Dell and Mac to the Cultivate Indy Small Business Lab during the summer of 2021. Adobe Creative Cloud is a set of applications and services from Adobe Inc. that gives users access to a collection of software used for graphic design, video editing, web development, photography, and more!
- Databases – The Independence Public Library provides IPL Card Holders access to four business databases that can be accessed anywhere with your library card.
- Small Business Reference Center – Exclusive full text for many top consumer small business reference books and tools to address many small business topics. It includes business videos, a help and advice section, and details on creating business plans. (Use the last five digits of your IPL Library card)
- Entrepreneurial Studies Source – Covering the latest insights in entrepreneurship and small business ownership, Entrepreneurial Studies Source is an essential full-text database for business students and researchers. (Use the last five digits of your IPL Library card)
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center – This database offers detailed “how-to” instructions and creative ideas to meet the interests of virtually every hobby enthusiast. Full text is provided from leading hobby and craft magazines. (Use the last five digits of your IPL Library card)
- Business Source Premier – The industry’s most widely used business research database, Business Source Premier features full text and searchable cited references for top journals covering various business disciplines. (Use the last five digits of your IPL Library card)
- The Foundation Center – The Independence Public Library gives our patrons access to the most extensive grant data available. Foundation Directory Online (FDO) delivers quality funding prospects. By combining specific data with intuitive search functionality and informative data visualizations, FDO provides the information you need to reach your fundraising goals quickly and efficiently. (Only available on IPL computers)
- Mini-Makerspace – Build your prototypes at IPL with our mini-makers space. This area features a laser engraver and a 3D Printer. Take part in our Cultivate Indy Small Business Program, and earn a FabLab ICC membership to gain access to advanced manufacturing and digital fabrication tools.
Small Business Books and Resources – The Independence Public Library has access to hundreds of Entrepreneurial, Leadership, and Small Business books. If there are materials you want but don’t see the item in our catalog, ask a librarian, and we can find it at another library for you. IPL has also compiled an extensive list of online resources. Visit our resource page to discover resources for small businesses and entrepreneurs.